Tuesday 10 January 2012

Day Care??

Today at our regular visit from our Infant Development Consultant, we met with a consultant from Supported Child Care, to talk about Sophia's needs in day care; mainly to see if she qualifies for a care aid. Finding day care is hard enough with out having to search for one that also suits the needs of a child who is blind, and sensitive to sunlight. We were fortunate enough to find a daycare, well rather it is considered a Junior Kindergarten, that is absolutely fantastic; it however does not make going back to work any easier. Today I had to talk about, and write down all my concerns and fears when it comes to having my blind daughter in day care... let me just say that actually taking about it was more difficult than I imagined. My greatest fear is that she will be left out, not seeing whats going on, is going to be difficult for her. I probably spoil her, by talking to her all day, and describing the world around her; this is less likely to occur in a situation where she is sharing attention with 4 other children per adult. Fortunately she qualifies for a (most likely) full time care aid to help her complete her daily tasks; things that would be simple for other babies; eating, mobility etc. Still as I sit and talk about all the things I do with her to help her development and understanding of the world; light positioning, keeping things extremely organized and in their place, helping her know what to expect by giving her cues, (the list goes on, and on) I begin to think that there is probably a reason why Sophia is the youngest child Supported Child Care has ever worked with; most moms in my situation have stayed home.  I know in some ways day care will be good for her, and she needs to learn how to be her own advocate, and she will, but is she too young still? I know she will, unlike most children, be lucky enough to have a team of people, consultants, and care aids, all supporting her; and the day care is, like I said the most fantastic place; so why am I still so worried its not enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment